During this time of the year, we all look forward to the great food, warm atmosphere and visits from our loved ones. Unfortunately, not everyone around us shares this luxury. As the holidays bring many of us enjoyment, it’s easy to forget that it makes some people feel restless. That said, we want to shed light on some of the ways we, as a community, can give back and attempt to spread a little joy.
Keal/Vertafore Volunteer Work
We’d like to share some of the volunteer work our Keal/Vertafore staff did in each one of our three offices across Canada.
- Concord, ON: Some of our employees in our Concord Office had the opportunity to visit the Vaughan Food Bank (VFB). They were introduced to the people behind the entire operation and were surprised to know that they were volunteers themselves. Those in charge of the VFB devote their time to the less fortunate by providing them with the necessary food, clothing and toys, year round. Keal/Vertafore employees assisted in the packing of necessary food items and sweaters to be distributed for the holiday season.
- Grand Falls, NB: The Grand Falls office chose to dedicate four hours of their time to Valley SPCA la Vallée, an animal shelter in the region. The dogs had a chance to play outdoors and the cats had their very own cuddling sessions with our employees. The team assisted the shelter by cleaning and reorganizing the different rooms. To help raise awareness for adoption of the animals, their pictures were taken to share across social media in hopes to find a ‘’furever’’ family.
- Montreal, QC: Employees in our Montreal office were humbled to visit the Mission Bon Accueil, an organization that serves men, women and children in need. It is a large food bank that supports many shelters and social organizations in Montreal. Some members of the team prepared boxes with various kinds of meat to be distributed. Others assisted in sorting out stockings by size that would then be distributed to children.
Our Client’s Contribution
Covenant House Toronto is in a constant battle to try and solve at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth issues. The charity provides a 24/7 crisis shelter and countless other services such as healthcare, education, job recruitment and more. In an attempt to support Covenant House’s efforts, a group of insurance professionals camped out overnight on the streets of Toronto in order to raise money and awareness for the homeless. They managed to raise over $1.1 million for the charity that night.
We’d like to make special mention to Derrick Leue, President at PROLINK Broker Network, for being one of the people in the insurance business to make such a selfless contribution to this exceptional cause. This solidifies the incredibly charitable and generous nature that the industry holds.
How You Can Contribute
You don’t have to be a part of a larger organization to make an impact this holiday season, or any time of the year at that:
- Haven’t worn that sweater in a while? Donate it! It could help keep someone warm.
- The next time you’re on a Costco run, consider purchasing a few non-perishable items such as toilet paper, canned goods, etc.
- Got some spare time on your hands? Volunteer at a charitable organization, they can never be over staffed.
- Make a donation, anything helps! A drop in the bucket for you could mean the world to someone in need.
Just keep in mind, if there’s a will, there’s a way.
In order for us to win together as an industry, we must always remember to show empathy and respect along the way. The instances noted throughout our post open our eyes to how our resources can be used to fill the gaps in our society. We are blessed to have a platform that provides us with the opportunities to spread positivity and make a difference. On behalf of everyone at Keal, we wish you the very best this holiday season.